Around the world

Around the world; a Nation Hopper's journy to teach on all 7 continents.




Monday, October 31, 2011

Being thankful

Living over seas is full of countless rewards. I have experienced so many, learning a new language, living a way I never thought possible, having an impact on a community, having a community make an impact on you, making dozens of new friends. The list goes on and on. It widens your understanding of the world, the understanding that there are people on the other side of the world that coexist with you even though you did not know it.The biggest reward that I have encountered has to be the connection of one human being to another. We are all the same, and yet so different. All of us searching for the answers to the same question. Sitting in the classroom, teaching them how to speak English, or teaching them about another country. The way they lean forward in their seats, the absorbed looked on their faces, the way they light up when they show you what they know. It's pure joy, there is no equal.

Living over seas is full of sacrifices. You  don't realize when you leave just what those sacrifices are going to be. But in an instant, you find yourself making them, sometimes unwillingly. The biggest sacrifices I have made is missing my grandfathers funeral. He passed away Thursday night, an out of the blue heart attack that proved fatal. I cannot be there to speak at his service. I cannot be there to put flowers on his grave. I cannot be there to comfort my family. Its horrifying, the helplessness that over comes you. The numb, empty space inside your chest that sleep, food, books, faces cannot fill.
I am thankful that I was able to have dinner with him before I left for Thailand. I am thankful for those in Albuquerque who are able to comfort my family. I am thankful for Sue, Suzan, and Chris who prayed for me the morning of. I am thankful I had 21 wonderful years with my grandfather. I am thankful I had such an amazing grandfather. I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment