Around the world

Around the world; a Nation Hopper's journy to teach on all 7 continents.




Thursday, October 13, 2011

Maggi,Jordi and Evie

Just got back from a long day at the schools. I had a blast (go figure). Sue and I made it in time to hear the children sing the national anthem before going to class. So, there are three school and one nursery at Opportunity Foundation India. The main school is called Maggi, grades 1-6, 200 kids, and I want to say 20ish teachers. Two nursery schools called Evie and Jordi, pre k and k, 30 kids each, two teachers per school. And then the baby care center, which I have no stats on because I have yet to visit.

Everyone calls Sue and I ma'am, so as I walk around Maggi campus 'How are you ma'am? Hello ma'am! Good morning ma'am!' gets shouted to me by 200 different voices. Everyone smiles and waves. The braver ones crowd around me, eager to say hi yet again. It's weird being called ma'am. I don't think I have ever been seriously called ma'am before. I feel sooooo old! I only have a few minutes to talk to the kids before they rush off to class. Today I sat in on Padma's class. She was teaching science to some 8-9 year olds. I nearly had to leave because the kids would turn and wave to me, or ask how I was so much it almost became a distraction.

Before lunch Sue and I went to see Jordi and I got to sit in another class. This was kindergarten and the kids were so adorable. Two in particular, one boy and one girl. I might have to pack them in my suitcase and take them home. They are so dang cute. All of the kids are cute here, big brown eyes and jet black hair. But so skinny, just bones and skin. They get a hard boiled egg three times a week, and milk and a bread bun twice a week (in addition to the rice and dhal they get for lunch). It's definitely the most dependable meal most of them get every day.

I took some awesome pictures today, but am having trouble getting them on here. I'll keep working on it, keep your fingers crossed.

After lunch we went to Evie for a very quick walk through before we had to rush off and help a teacher, Vajaalockshme (if you think reading the name is hard, try remembering how to say it!), get a check cashed.

Pretty full day. Sue and I just finished dinner and now I am off to see if I can skype a cell phone. I think you can do that, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment