Around the world

Around the world; a Nation Hopper's journy to teach on all 7 continents.




Thursday, October 20, 2011

School

This all happened yesterday, but I came home and took an allergy pill which knocked me out around 7 and didn't get a chance to tell you about my day at school, so I'm doing it now.

Tuesday, as we dropped off some of the teachers, Marry asked if I would come by her classroom first thing tomorrow (Wednesday) morning. So I spend first and second period with Marry in her art class. First period was 5th standard, which is as high as the school goes. The girls were working on embroidery and stitching while the boys were sketching. They all laughed heartily when I suggested the boys learn how to stitch as well. I talked with Marry and she showed me all the posters she had drawn. Marry was the librarian they call it library teacher.  But the Bible school teacher, Keeshore is at bible school studying to become a pastor . So Rebbecca took over the library so someone could take over the bible study and some how Marry ended up as the art teacher this year. She is very anxious to get back into library because she enjoys reading to the kids so much.  I was late to school so I only sat with that class for thirty minutes.

4th standard came in, there were 30 kids! They combine the two 4th standard classes because splitting the kids into two 15 size classes is not cost efficient. Marry and I took the kids outside and played games. Marry gave me a group of girls and we played duck duck goose and Simon says. They all had so many questions for me so we sat down and passed a ball around asking each other questions.

I had to go sit at a desk and get my project finished, though I would have loved nothing better then to sit in Marry's class all day. Gayle, I cant remember if I've mention Gayle before. She is an Australian teacher who is helping Sue and Jack with the schools. She found this reading program, Reading A-Z and I am working on down loading all the books, printing them, binding them and getting them ready to put into the library.

Unfortunately the computer ran out of juice at 2:30 and I just had to sit in two more classes. I ended up back in Marry's last two classes. In which we played more games. You might be thinking this is all they do in the classes here, but I assure you today was unusual. This time is was checkers and the hand game with the rhyme 'down by the banks of the hanky panky'. The kids loved it. Rajitha had her class sitting next to ours. She had some puzzle spelling flash cards and was playing a speed game with her kids.

When the bell ran you heard about 40 kids groaning because they were not ready to go home. As the kids slowly dragged their feet out of the gate each and everyone of them waved and said good bye. Talk about brightening your day. My mouth hurt from smiling so much, but I couldn't stop.

Group of girls playing duck duck goose



Group of boys playing duck duck goose. Marry is in the back ground.





Rajitha


This is what you get if try and take a direct picture of someone. It's best to take a picture when they are not looking.





No comments:

Post a Comment