Around the world

Around the world; a Nation Hopper's journy to teach on all 7 continents.




Friday, September 16, 2011

Swadika

As of tonight at midnight I have been in Thailand for one whole month, and what a fantastic month it’s been! I cannot believe the many wonderful things have happened in four short weeks. I have made handfuls of new friends, been ‘adopted’ into three wonderful families, have had the pleasure of teaching some of the brightest girls I have ever met, and gotten to peek into a world I’ve only read about. 
Sitting at the kitchen table and having one of the girls run up to me and ask me a question, understand the answer, and then run off to tell the others, or come up to me and list off the words we learned in class that day, or to hear them singing ‘head shoulders knees and toes’ softly to themselves while they do their homework is priceless. 
Having the staff come up to me and start a conversation, seeing how comfortable they are speaking English, hearing how the words flow together more naturally then before, surprised to hear them rattle off new vocabulary they learned on their own has become an addiction. 
I am more sure then ever this is what I want to do with my life. I realize working with children, teaching them, loving them, leading them is a gift someone has thought to bless me with. It doesn’t matter if I am in a pool teaching them to blow bubbles, or in a room teaching them English. This is what I’m good at. This is what I want to spend the rest of my life doing. 
Four weeks doesn’t seem right. It seems like I have been here long then that. The days flow together in such a way, I feel like 97 have passed by. My brain is a sponge, absorbing every word, every image, every smile, every new thing like there's no tomorrow. 
As of today, I know 52 words in Thai. I understand the main concept when people are talking to me, as long as they keep the vocab pretty simple. The staff is mega impressed and insist that I only talk to them in Thai, and they will only talk to me in English. Walai feels sure I will be fluent by the time I leave 0.o. 
Since I know in advance that I will be asked for this, here is a list of the words I know. The Thai ‘spelling’ is a mix of the way they actually spell it in English, and how I spell it to remember how to say it. Some of the vowls are not the ones you say in English, but there is no other letter for it. What I’m trying to say is, don’t go saying these words to random Thai people. You will end up butchering the word beyond recognition like I do. 
As for the words themselves, most of them have been learned by simply listening to the conversation around me, picking out the words repeated most often and comparing them to the subject being talked about. Some were learned through miming a request, such as ‘eating’, others the girls taught me during our English lesson. As I mentioned before, for every day of class they put in new words, I put in one or two Thai words. 
Random words
Chai-yes
Mai-Chai-no
Kang/Di- Good
Khun/P- a title given to someone older, a sign of respect 
Arina -what
Chan- I
Ka- like a polite mmhm
Cup Khun Ka- thank you
Nit non- a little
Ran-hot
Pom-hair
Bow- light weight 
Seing- sound 
Fun- Teeth 
Bakka -pen
Wing-run
Home- pleasant smelling
Men-stinky 
Frang-foreigner
Aan- read 
Mam-queen
Ya-drug
Kheyn-Write 
Sentences 
Futo-its raining
Swadika-  primary greeting used at anytime of the day 
Swadi- how are you
Khun chop- do you like
Mai me-I don’t have 
People
Yi-grandmother
Mae-mother
Paw-father
Nwang Sao- Sister
Pheun-friend
House related 
Bahn-houe
Hong-room
Hong nam-bathroom
Ab-to bathe 
Eating 
Aroy -delicious
Blah-fish 
Moo-pork
Goye-banana
Mann-type of potato 
Dow who- tofu
Nam-water, or liquid
Cow Yen- dinner 
Ging cow- to eat 
Cow- Rice
Polamine-fruit
Neua-meat
Clothes
Mua-hat
Sua-t-shirt
Rong tao- shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment