Around the world

Around the world; a Nation Hopper's journy to teach on all 7 continents.




Sunday, September 4, 2011

Sunday.

Today P Ui took me to Burriam for church. I met her husband and made a bunch of new friends. Three in particular stood out (the only three whos name I was actaully able to remember. You try learning 20 new names in a different language in ten minutes!). The first is Monica. She is from the the Philippines. She is an English teacher in Burriam. The other is Mue (I have no idea how to spell her name correctly.) She is the daughter of one of the women who go to church with us in Nang Rong. The third is Ga, who is married to a Danish man that has been to over 50 countries. Monica, Mue, and Ga's English is very good and I spent most of the time talking with them. The service was long, from 8:45-noon. After I had lunch with Mue who then took me to the classroom too meet some of the kids and then to meet Monica. I sat and talked to Monica for about four hours before P Ui was ready to go home. I had a blast and drank Sprite out of a bag.

But probably the most entertaining thing to happen today happened at lunch. I was sitting with Mue when a woman came and sat down across from me. Her English was very broken and it was a bit hard to understand her. She first asked me for my name, I gave it to her. She then asked in a very strange, two word's max, where I was from. Then she said something so fast all I caught was 'email' and married'.  I finally figured out that she wanted my email address, so I gave it to her. Then she made me swear on pain of death to email her a picture when I got married. This wasn't a 'when you get married in the FUTURE' statement, it was a 'when you get married in the NEAR future statement. Now, why this woman wanted me to email her a picture of my wedding day, when I did not have her email address is beyond me. Why she was under the impression I would be getting married next week, beyond me to infinity.

On the way home we stopped by the Big C, which is the ginormous, walmart like store, we went to on Monday. As I was coming out of the bathroom (Brownie points to Big C for having western style toilets and a big win for Amanda) a case caught my eye. In side were hand guns. Then a message came on over the intercom saying the taking of pictures was not allowed in the store. I'm assuming people caught taking pictures of the state secrets they keep in the freeze dried soup isle will be punished with the guns for the case (that was totally sarcasm to the max for those of you who think I am serious ;). They also have blueberry and strawberry Oreos, but no where near the state secrets or guns.

That was my day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment