Around the world

Around the world; a Nation Hopper's journy to teach on all 7 continents.




Saturday, September 10, 2011

Arts, crafts, and skype

This morning P Ui went to pick up the other girls from the house for our arts and crafts day. While I waited I skyped with my sister, mother, grandmother, and great grandmother. They got to meet the girls in my house, Paa, Fai, May, and Nat, as well as several girls from the other houses. The girls were excited to show off their English skills. My family was asked 'do you like to (jump, eat, run, go to school)' at least 10 times. It's been raining all morning and the skype was choppy but we made it work. I'm very glad that I am able to connect these two worlds via the Internet. The girls love seeing pictures of my family and get excited when they can actually see and speak to them. It's defiantly a highlight of the week.

For the arts and crafts project I had the girls make word books. A word book is pretty self explanatory, its a book of words. I had the girls decorate the covers with stickers and markers.






Then I had them write down most of the words we have learned over the last 3 weeks.





I told them that for every word in English they learn, I will learn one in Thai. I even made myself a word book. 



Yes, my Thai handwriting looks worse then the 5 year olds. 

When the girls were finished with their books, we sang a few songs and played a marco poloish game with one of the sings. 18 kids + running around the living room x eyes closed = great idea. I was surprised at how well it actually worked! While all of this was going on, Yi Op and the cook (I feel like such a horrible person for not being able to remember her name, ever) were making these little coconut cake thingys. As far as I know it's fried coconut milk. And it's delicious. 







No comments:

Post a Comment