Around the world

Around the world; a Nation Hopper's journy to teach on all 7 continents.




Friday, November 25, 2011

Leftovers

The day after Thanksgiving, most people flock in the fridge for some cold turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes, green been casserole, and rolls. You carefully slice a roll open, stuffing it with turkey, mashed potatoes, and gravy before tenderly putting it in the microwave. Can you really wait a full 2 minutes for the delicious tower of pure Thanksgiving yummyness? Maybe, maybe not. Did I get to partake in this near holy event? Why yes I did. Did I have a turkey-mashed-potatoes-smothered-in-delicious-homemade-gravy-recipe-handed-down-for-generations-sandwich? No. I had bird spit in a cup.

Yes.

Bird SPIT.

The spit of a swiftlet in fact. These iddy biddy birds build their nests out of spit. An ancient Chinese (practiced in Thailand) secret that says if you take the nest (spit, feathers, bugs, and all), boil it to liquefy it, and then consume it, it's good for your health.

I informed Walai that I had better be flying by the time I finished. Sadly, bird spit does not make you fly.

Eugh!

Dont believe me? Check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird's_nest_soup

No comments:

Post a Comment