Around the world

Around the world; a Nation Hopper's journy to teach on all 7 continents.




Friday, November 11, 2011

Busy busy busy!

Phew! We were busy bees today. The lorie (read as big truck) came at 9:30 this morning with 7 movers. They packed up about half the house (one set of living room furniture, three beds, two tables, two desks, and 6 chairs) and loaded it into the truck bed in thirty minutes flat. Needless to say, Sue and I were impressed. We crawled through Yapral and Balajinagar at maybe 2 mph to ensure the bumps in the road didn't damage anything. While the movers unloaded everything into the spare room at Jordie, where it will stay until the renovations at Mark are complete, I took pictures of the students who were absent last Saturday. By the way, the program is called International Children's Network and I will be doing a superb posting on it tomorrow complete with pictures.

We headed to Maggie and had lunch. We had to fire the cook yesterday because he was whining and complaining that we took his salary from 3,00 Rupees, to 7,000. Yes, you read that right. He was complaining about a 4,000 Rupee raise.
Here is what was happening. He would to go the market, buy the veggies, come back to cook and give us a bill for 1,500 every week. Not bad considering we feed 400ish people everyday. He said he only saw 3,000 of that for his income. Sue felt bad for him so told him that we would by the veggies at Metro cause it saves us money and pay him 7,000 to just cook. Getting paid 7,000 Rupees to work less then 6 hours a day is UNHEARD of. Yet he was not satisfied. The question is, out of the 1,500, how much was he REALLY making..Mmm?
But we put an aaya (aid) by the name of Kotima on cooking duty. Today was her first day and she passed with flying colors. After lunch I ran around like mad trying to get the rest of the pictures taken in the half hour I had before school let out and teacher training began. There are still children absent, which means this job will continue into next week.
On the way home we stopped in a store so I could buy some bangles for people back home. I wished I had taken a picture, but we were kind of in a rush. There were boxes upon boxes of bangles. Hundreds of bangles doesnt even begin to cover it. The shop keeper would only sell quantities of 12. There were sooo many colors and designs that I had a hard time choosing. The good news, they were >35 Rupees a dozen, like 95 cents. So I walked out with 4 dozen in hand, and another 3 dozen in my suitcase.... I may have an obsession with bangles..

I apologize for the lack of pictures. The internet has been abominably slow the last week. "High speed internet" my foot. I get kicked off about every ten minutes and  the server throws a fit when I try to load Yahoo and Aol. Don't even mention uploading or it will go into cardiac arrest. Yeesh. That's one thing I am looking forward to in Thailand. Good internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment