Around the world

Around the world; a Nation Hopper's journy to teach on all 7 continents.




Thursday, August 18, 2011

Nang Rong

Made it to Nang Rong. Goodness its sticky here. It’s not very hot, because of the rain but man is it humid, possibly more humid then Texas (which I did not think was possible). Pun and I went to the Foundation office first to meet the staff. I only remember a few names and have no idea how to spell them, but here goes. 
There is Walai the director, Khun Nun (the u makes a oo sound as in loot), Khun Lp, and Khunn Pet (like Peter with out the er). Khun is a polite title given to everyone, like miss, Mrs. and Mr. After meeting everyone Walai drove Pun and I to the house.
I met Khun Yi Et, one of the grandmothers, Khun Yi Op another grandmother (Yi is grandmother) and Ui (like when someone pinches you and you say owy) the house mother. Fai, Nat, Prae (sounds like play without the y), and Mai are the girls that live in the big house. 
The big house is currently the only finished house on the property, they are in the process of building two more. One will be done in October, the other one in December. I have a roommate, his name is Spencer. He likes to hang out on the ceiling, pictured above. He’s bigger then he looks in the picture, maybe a finger and a half. The girls brought me home roses :) They are sitting in a coffee jar on the table. Dinner was famous Pad Thai, vegetarian style with tofu! Can you say delicious?! There was also a fruit, the name of which I have forgotten. It was white, looked like a mango, and had the consistency of cream of wheat and mushy apple. The taste was sweet, with a hint of spicy undertone. I did not care for it. Pun told me that the fruit is normally served at a harder consistency....
I’ve retired for the night and had my first experience with a Thai bathroom. The Bangkok Christian Guest House had a westernish bathroom, the toilet and shower were separated by a sliding glass door. But in the big house, there is no separation. The sink sits on one end of the bathroom, the toilet on the other, and the shower in the middle. That’s going to take some getting used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment