Around the world

Around the world; a Nation Hopper's journy to teach on all 7 continents.




Monday, December 30, 2013

The womens group


Cliff and I were supposed to go to the ghetto on Saturday to see the kids, but we got a call from Lilian (a woman who lives in the ghetto who helps organize the kids and both programs) saying there were only a handful of kids there, most of them were at their villages. So we didn’t go, which was a bummer :( I was sick on Sunday with a pretty bad migraine, so it was a pretty blah weekend. 

But, today Cliff picked me up and took me to the ghetto to meet with the women. We were there for three hours and I had an incredible time. Instead of jumping right into a structured lesson/class, I spent three hours getting to know the six women who came. I told them about myself and what I do in Austin, about my family and my interests and in turn they told me about their lives and families. 

The stuff we talked about was really heavy stuff, I nearly dissolved into tears several times. I’m still trying to wrap my brain around it and process it all, and I’m completely exhausted. So, I’m not going to dive into the sticky stuff today, but I will gladly show you some pictures!! 



The ghetto, and Cliff's nose!


Yja Yja (grandma) Josephine and I 

Lilian giving me a paper necklace

My Ugandan mother

Cliff, the women and I 

No comments:

Post a Comment