Around the world

Around the world; a Nation Hopper's journy to teach on all 7 continents.




Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I'm a Baribie Girl,

No, not really. But the girls absolutely adore the Barbies Sue gave them for Christmas. They are simply over the moon. A few of them had the Thai version (read highly pliable, thin plastic) and are happy to add to their doll family.

So, in light of all the excitement I jumped on the train and had the girls make their own Barbie clothes last week. Unfortunately, half of the girls were in school and the other half were not (I've had it explained to me three times and still don't quite understand why two of the four schools decided not to have classes in the middle of the week). With the girls who were not in school, we took over P Ui's living room and turned it into a Barbie clothing making heaven. There were bolts of fabric in all colors and patterns, beads galore, and every type of thread imaginable.

The older girls did a good job fending for themselves and are quite the fashion designers. Beforehand I had cut out patterns for shirts, pants, shorts, and dressed and the girls simply followed the pattern and sewed up the edges. I realize this makes me sound pretty nifty when it comes to needle and threat, but in reality these are Barbie clothes and the 6 year old made more impressive clothes then I did.

But the girls had a blast, which is all that mattered. P Ui even got hyped up and joined in. She told me that she had never played with dolls when she was little, she was more of the 'lets play kitchen' type of kid.

Salee, Mai, Prae, and Nat were clinging helplessly to me (in their defense the needles were impossibly small and a pain in the butt to thread) so taking pictures was a challenge. I did get a couple of good shots though!







No comments:

Post a Comment