Around the world

Around the world; a Nation Hopper's journy to teach on all 7 continents.




Thursday, November 21, 2013

Tomi

Sorry it's been a while, there is so much to do and so little time to do it.

On Sunday I went with Cami, a very special friend, to meet Tomi and talk to her while she is here for a visit. (If you've forgotten, Tomi founded and runs Kids Inspiring Kids).

A lot of people are asking how I got 'hooked up' with this trip, it's an amazingly simple story. Uganda and Kids Inspiring Kids fell into my lap, much like Thailand and India. I wasn't looking for my next adventure, I was idly toying with the idea of going somewhere over winter break but at the time wasn't considering anything over seas. That is until I met Cami.
Cami and I work together and started talking one day about all of the places we have traveled, like myself Cami is a world traveler and we bonded quite fast through this. She briefly mentioned that a friend of her family, Tomi, ran an organization in Uganda and she would ask if Tomi if she needed a volunteer for a month. Before the thought process could really sink in, Cami came back with a piece of paper with an email address on it and said 'Tomi would love to hear from you'. Totally psyched, I went home and emailed Tomi straight away, telling her a bit of what I did in Thailand/India, how interested I have always been in Africa, and if she had room for a volunteer over winter break. I got an email back the next day saying yes and wondering if I had any questions. Yes, she had room for a volunteer. Yes, she would love to have me come out. Yes to a dream I have been chasing for nine years.
I quickly sent back a two paged email, asking every question I could think of; how many kids did she work with, how many women, what level of English, what age levels, how many times a week I would be able to met with them, what kind of arts and crafts they liked to do, would I be able to do life lesson classes? I don't know how Tomi had the patience to sit there and answer all of my questions, but she did. We sent a ton of emails back and forth about my contributions to KIK and the logistics and I started planning.
I made lesson plans, had a folder of flash cards ready to be printed  and laminated, I had lists of games and songs to go with the lesson plans. When Tomi told me she was going to be in Austin for a few weeks I was so excited to not only meet her but to show her what I had in mind for the 4 weeks I would be staying with her and her kids.
Cami, Tomi and I had a great visit. It was great hearing Tomi's story from her and not through a computer and to hear her talk about KIK. As she was telling me about the kids and women she works with I started to get a clearer picture of just how many people KIK helps and interacts with. I quickly realized that everything I had plan was for groups of 10-15 kids, KIK works with over 500 kids.
I freaked out a little bit, my entire plan was insufficient, was I in way over my head? Could I even do this? But thanks to Cami I'm back on track. I'm shifting the focus of my visit from English to arts and crafts, games, life skills and things I can do with groups of 70 kids as well as with the women.

So here is where I need y'alls help! I'm looking for easy craft ideas for groups of 70 kids that have very simple, easy to get/pack materials. Ideas like homemade playdough, macaroni jewelry, sand paintings. Any crafts that can go with a bible/life lesson (no stealing, don't lie etc). Games that everyone can participate in like telephone or red rover. For all my seamstress friends, I have access to some sewing machines and would like to teach the 10-15 year olds how to do some simple sewing projects, possibly the women as well. If anyone has any ideas please let me know!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment