Around the world

Around the world; a Nation Hopper's journy to teach on all 7 continents.




Thursday, July 7, 2011

I ramble when I get the jitters

I began packing up my apartment today. I have a storage unit ready to go, boxes sitting in the livingroom and my closet all but packed up. This packing of the closet included the clothes I will not need, books, writing stuff and shoes. I packed up all my writing 'how to' and tool books. I wish wish wish I could take them with me. I know I will be a writing machine when I start my travels and it would be so nice to have them, but it will also be nice to not have a back pack that weighs thirty pounds while traveling for two days.... Hmmm.. My books are going to be one of the hardest things to leave. Not that it wont be hard to leave friends and family. But I live for my books, and the thought of not having access to my lovely little library for six months kills me. I've limited myself to three books for the trip. One will be one I've read a hundred times, a comfort book, as of right now it's Outlander. The other one will be a long one, possibly a Harry Potter. The third will theoretically be a new one, but we shall see.
It's crunch time, with only a month left before I leave Austin, and 39 days until I leave for Thailand. My to-do list is still a mile long and I am starting to panic, will I have everything done in time? Between work, work, and more work there are not enough hours in the day to do the running around that needs to be done 0.o I just need to remember to breathe and that all this hard work will be worth it starting the 16th of August. Any good thoughts you can spare, send them my way!
My stomach has started the nervous rolling and fluttering of butterflies that comes with travel preperations. It starts when ever I see the suitcase in my room, or receive an email from Walai or Sue, or check off an item on the to-do list. I am excited that my depature is coming up, that I will finally be living my dream (well about half the dream. The full blown dream is teaching English in Africa, but I'm more then happy to have this chance to go and do incredible things in Thailand), but I am so nervous.
I have nothing new or fun to report from Thailand. It's going to be hot and sticky while I am there (still trying to figure out how I am going to squash my rain boots into my suitcase. It will happen ;). The weather is nothing new, I've lived in a hot weather climate for most of my life and I've gotten quite a dose of unbelieveable, sticky humidity living in Austin for the last two and a half years.  I do have my address in Thailand, if you would like to have it please email me and I can give it to you. (Hint: I looooooove handwritten letters, both sending and receiving them)

On to the next item on the to-do list. Been thinking of opening a Flicker account to store pictures. I've not seen a place to put them on the blog. And, really, what fun is this without pictures?

2 comments:

  1. Yay!!! You have to post pictures!! Lots and lots of pictures!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to miss you, but this is such a great opportunity for you and you are going to do awesome! I look forward to lots of updates to the manda Panda blog!
    Beth Ann

    ReplyDelete